Happy holidays to all my plant parent friends! I spent the day with family and enjoyed lots of food. It’s a busy time of year for me, so I didn’t get a chance to write anything for the blog until now, so I thought I would just keep it casual and talk a little bit about what has been going on in my little front room jungle.
I seem to have developed a paranoia when it comes to pests— today I treated a lemon lime philodendron for what may or may not have been thrips. I didn’t let them stick around long enough to really find out. I proceeded to spend an hour googling thrips so I know enough about them to guess that is what they were. I’ve quarantined the lemon lime in question as well as the Cebu blue pothos that was hanging above it. I will also be keeping a close eye on the plants in that vicinity.
I’ve also had to rescue a very forlorn looking Ficus “Audrey”. It was pretty pot bound when I bought it, but I have noticed it’s been losing its bottom leaves— they were just tiny ones and I figured it was just culling the weak leaves during winter, but one of the larger leaves lost the battle and I decided to repot, despite having been told not to repot during winter.
Then there is the calathea penalty box… which pretty much speaks for itself.
Obviously I’m still muddling through and learning as I go when it comes to plant parenting. Please give me guidance if you have it, but I’ll continue to discover what does and doesn’t work via trail and error.
As for the positives, there hasn’t been a lot of new growth happening this time of year, but I did get my first baby leaf from the watermelon Peperomia I had stuck in soil, this past September. Truth be told, I had kind of forgotten about it— I just watered I when I noticed it was dry. Speaking of peperomia, my rosso, watermelon, and prostrata all flowered in the last little while.
My amaryllis bulb project was a success— in fact it bloomed on Christmas Day. I had it timed perfectly. Tonight we are going to visit my grandmother and I will give it to her as her gift from me.
I’ve been blessed with a few new leaves from the Marantaceae troops— maranta keeps giving me new leaves and I got two new leaves from my medallion calathea and one from my calathea ornata. I got a couple from my rattle snake calathea, but they’re a little malformed, and I’m not sure why. Perhaps lack of light, as I do not supplement that section.
And finally, for the first time ever, I can proudly say that I’ve kept a fern alive for longer than a week! I now have three in my collection— a Boston fern, a lemon button fern, and a heart leaf fern.
And that’s what’s been going on lately! Next week is going to be a December Haul as well as an announcement about January! (I will also keep you all posted about the potential thrips situation).